Wide receiver Torrey Smith chuckled at the notion that Eric

in Allgemein 08.11.2018 02:41
von huangjian123 | 167 Beiträge

Reid's return to the NFL this week might be a distraction for the Carolina Panthers on Sunday when they host the New York Giants.Smith said Reid's stance on racial injustice hasn't been an issue in the locker room Youth Marshon Lattimore Jersey , adding that "no one cares" if he kneels or not during the national anthem.He said Reid's new teammates are more eager to see what he does on the field rather than what he does before the game."It's not like he's out there and coach calls 'Cover 3' and he's going to take a knee and let a guy run by him. If that was the issue, it would be a problem," Smith said with a laugh. "But that's not the way it works. Eric knows what is best for Eric and we all know what he is fighting for."Reid, who knelt alongside Colin Kaepernick in San Francisco during the national anthem to bring attention to racial and social injustice, hasn't said if he will demonstrate Sunday in his first game since filing a collusion grievance against the NFL alleging that teams wouldn't sign him because of his protesting.Regardless of Reid's beliefs, the Panthers (2-1) are excited to have the 2013 Pro Bowler, who is expected to start at safety after Da'Norris Searcy was placed on injured reserve last week with a concussion.Cam Newton said the Panthers "got a steal" when they signed the 26-year-old Reid."He's a great player," Newton said. "We've accepted him with open arms. We know he's going to be an impact player for us, and that's all I care about."Reid, who is African-American, said after signing a one-year contract with Carolina that he plans to "continue to speak for my people" and use his platform to talk about injustices."I'm going to stand by him and none of that will be a distraction as far as us winning football games," Newton said. "What he does on the football field is going to impact this team. I know that."Things to watch in Sunday's game:FAMILIAR FACESWhen Panthers middle linebacker Luke Kuechly turned on the film this week, he saw plenty of familiar plays being run by the Giants. New York's offensive coordinator is Mike Shula, who worked as Carolina's offensive coordinator from 2013-17. So Kuechly saw just about every one of Shula's play calls over the last five years in practice.Of course, what Kuechly didn't see too much of on tape this week were zone read options Womens Austin Carr Jersey , something Shula ran frequently with Newton as his quarterback. That's not something the Giants are running with the slow-footed Eli Manning at the helm. "If Eli runs like Cam does, then we are in trouble," Kuechly said.Moving the ball and scoring points has been a struggle this season for the Giants under Shula.ON THE RUNGiants coach Pat Shurmur admittedly didn't use rookie Saquon Barkley enough in the loss to the Saints last weekend. The running game was limited to 65 yards on 15 carries. Barkley had 44 yards on 10 carries, with 28 coming on a sprint around end. New York usually doesn't win unless it can establish some kind of run game to set up the play-action pass. Expect Barkley to either double his carries this week or have backup Wayne Gallman carry more than twice. The Panthers are allowing 110 yards per game on the ground.Jonathan Stewart, Carolina's all-time leading rusher, was placed on injured reserve last week by New York.VERNON'S BACKThe Giants are optimistic that outside linebacker Olivier Vernon will see his first action of the season after a strong week of practice. Shurmur thinks that could give the defense a boost, saying "when you have a fresh body that has the talent, the skill and abilities of a pass rusher, it helps your defense. Certainly adding him back to the mix will help."Vernon has 40 陆 sacks over the past five seasons while playing mostly defensive end. He missed the first four games after suffering a high ankle sprain in late August.DEFENDING RUSHING QBSThe Giants' defense has struggled against opposing quarterbacks in the run game. In four games, opposition QBs have gained 151 yards on 20 carries, a 7.55 average. That could be a major problem this week with Newton taking snaps. The 2015 league MVP has carried 28 times for 136 yards and three touchdowns in three games. He has rushed for at least 700 yards in each of the last three seasons, joining Michael Vick as the only NFL quarterbacks with three 700-yard seasons rushing. The Saints used a new wrinkle last weekend against the Giants, having backup quarterback Taysom Hill rush four times for 28 yards.MORE McCAFFREYAided by Newton's skills as a runner , the Panthers have the league's No. 1-ranked rushing offense, while the Giants are 29th against the run. So it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what Carolina wants to do Sunday. Christian McCaffrey is coming off a career-high 184 yards rushing on 28 carries in a 31-21 win against the Bengals before the bye week. But given that offensive coordinator Norv Turner is known to mix things up from week to week Youth Marcus Williams Jersey , it wouldn't be a shocker if Turner leans a little more heavily on backup running back C.J. Anderson this week.AP Sports Writer Tom Canavan contributed to this report. Welcome to the Dolphins-Jets rivalry, Sam Darnold.New York's rookie quarterback will be under center and in the spotlight for the latest matchup of AFC East enemies Sunday at MetLife Stadium, with a 2-0 start to the season on the line.It might not sound like much, but consider this: The Dolphins haven't opened with two wins since 2013, when they started 3-0. Meanwhile, the Jets haven't been 2-0 since Todd Bowles' first year as coach in 2015."All division games have that extra buzz around them, but I feel like when we play the Jets, it's always turned up just a little bit more," Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill said. "I don't know what makes it that way or why it's that way. Maybe it's just the competitiveness of the games, but there always is an energy that goes with playing against the Jets."New York leads the all-time series 54-50-1, but Miami has won three of the last four meetings.Weird things also tend to happen when these teams square off. The muddy AFC championship game won by the Dolphins during the 1982 postseason. The back-and-forth air show by Dan Marino and Ken O'Brien in 1986. Marino's fake spike in 1994. The Monday night "miracle" comeback by the Jets in 2000.And, that's just to name a few."I definitely have the feel, with them and the Patriots," Miami wide receiver Jakeem Grant said. "I feel like it is a rivalry game."Darnold will get to experience it for the first time while also making his regular-season debut in front of the home crowd. The No. 3 overall draft pick got off to a rough start last Monday night at Detroit with his first pass intercepted and returned for a touchdown, but bounced back to have a solid night and lead New York to a 48-17 rout .The 21-year-old Darnold finished 16 of 21 for 198 yards and two touchdowns Womens Sheldon Rankins Jersey , showing glimpses of what made him so coveted leading up to the draft."I feel like I live my whole life to play football and it's awesome to just be able to do that for a living," Darnold said. "I'm embracing it every single day."Tannehill knows the feeling. After sitting out last season because of a knee injury, the Dolphins QB was back last week for the first time since 2016 and came out a winner after a 27-20 victory over Tennessee .That came in the longest NFL game since the 1970 merger, outlasting the Titans in 7 hours, 8 minutes, including 3:59 in multiple weather delays ."It was wild," Tannehill said, "but I'm really proud of our guys the way we responded."Here are some other things to know as the Dolphins and Jets renew their rivalry:DOMINANT DEFENSEThe Jets set a franchise record with 48 points on the road, and their defense played a big part.New York had five interceptions against the Lions , including two by linebacker Darron Lee and one each by safety Jamal Adams and cornerbacks Morris Claiborne and Trumaine Johnson. Lee returned the first of his picks 36 yards for a touchdown, the Jets' first defensive score since 2013 — a span of 73 games that was the longest such drought in NFL history."It was definitely stepping stone in the right direction," Lee said. "We definitely want to build some consistency with that."MOVIN' ON UPMiami's Frank Gore has 14,087 career yards rushing and needs 15 to surpass former Jets star and Pro Football Hall of Famer Curtis Martin (14,101) for fourth place on the NFL's list."It speaks volumes for what he's accomplished," Dolphins coach Adam Gase said. "It's unbelievable the amount of years he's played and the amount of carries he's had over his career and the success that he's had Womens Vonn Bell Jersey , the things that he's battled through."CRUISE CONTROLIf the Jets' kick coverage is good, perhaps Grant will have to put it in high gear. He said he didn't on his 102-yard runback last week against Tennessee for his first career touchdown on a kickoff return."I wasn't even running full speed," said the 5-foot-7 Grant, one of the NFL's fastest players. "I was actually three-quarters speed."The third-year pro has career averages of 24.8 yards on kickoff returns and 7.7 on punt returns. So what's his top speed?"All I can say is stay tuned," he said.DYNAMIC DEBUTIsaiah Crowell made an immediate impact for New York, rushing for 102 yards and two touchdowns on just 10 carries.No other Jets running back has run for at least 100 yards and two scores in their debut with the team. With his 62-yard TD run, Crowell has six plays of 50 yards or more since 2015 — tied with New Orleans' Mark Ingram for the most by a running back during that span.GETTING TRICKYThe Dolphins showed some new wrinkles on offense in their opener, and there's likely more where that came from.Wide receiver Albert Wilson took a handoff and had an option to lateral to running back Kenyan Drake."Some of that might be copied from somebody else that I used to be with," Gase said. "I've got a pretty good library of things that I can lean on."He was referring to Mike Martz, one of his mentors and the former head coach of the Rams.Wilson also lined up as a wildcat quarterback, with Tannehill split wide, but Miami called timeout before the snap.AP Sports Writer Steven Wine contributed.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: Binger-Kranservice
Besucherzähler
Heute waren 30 Gäste und 1 Mitglied online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 3515 Themen und 5136 Beiträge.

Heute war 1 Mitglied Online :

Xobor Ein Kostenloses Forum von Xobor.de
Einfach ein Forum erstellen